Seeking to help county residents who are considering purchasing an electric vehicle, San Diego County has created a new Consumer Guide website with information on the benefits, costs, incentives, and even a link to get started. buy vehicles.
The County Electric Vehicle (EV) Consumer Guide is the latest product in the Electric Vehicle Roadmap that the County Supervisory Board approved in 2019 to build charging stations, encourage people to buy electric vehicles. and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The county’s board of supervisors also voted in January to work with UC San Diego to create a strategy to bring the region to zero carbon emissions by 2035.
âElectric vehicles could help our region move towards this zero-emission goal,â County Supervisory Board Chairman Nathan Fletcher said. âAnd electric vehicles are not science fiction, they are a viable option for people. This EV Consumer Guide website has all the information people need to help them decide if driving an electric car is the right option for them.
The website gives people a one-stop-shop where they can get a wealth of information on a wide range of topics, including:
- The environmental and financial benefits of owning a âzero emissionâ vehicle specific to the San Diego region.
- The different types of zero-emission vehicles, which include all-electric vehicles powered by on-board batteries; plug-in hybrid electric vehicles like Ford’s Escape PHEV that run primarily on electricity but have gas-powered back-up systems; and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
- Information on used electric vehicles.
- A fuel cost comparison calculator.
- Locations of EV charging stations.
- Permitting requirements and information for installing charging stations for homes, apartments, condominiums and businesses.
- Links to financial incentives for the purchase of a zero emission vehicle.
- Resources for understanding vehicle models and different types of charging systems
- A link to an interactive tool through Plugstar, a website created by the non-profit organization Plug In America, to help consumers identify zero-emission vehicle options that suit their needs – based on their budget, number of kilometers they must travel between loads, number of places, etc.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about electric vehicles.
- A link to a vehicle search and comparison tool, also from Plugstar, where people can find the cars they want and the local dealers who sell them.
The County Planning and Development Services Department developed the website to support the county’s commitment to increasing the number of electric cars on the road, protecting public health and safety, preserving the environment in its climate action work and to improve residents and visitors. quality of life.
The EV Consumer Guide gives people a place where they can find everything they need to know about buying an electric vehicle, without ever having to leave their garage.